Thursday, June 25, 2015

Another rest day, Montrose to Gunnison

I decided to take another rest day in Gunnison. I promise I'm not being lazy. As I was coming into town yesterday on my ride in from Montrose, I noticed this weird clicking in my knee. It's as if something had become misaligned in my knee, and it was rubbing, and then popping, with every pedal stroke. I got on the bike this morning, and I didn't experience the same thing, but I want to give my body a rest. I've got a big climb from Gunnison to Salida, and the last thing I need is a knee that's going to give me trouble. We'll see how I feel tomorrow; hopefully this is nothing debilitating. Part of the reason why I decided to stick around for an extra day is because I'm currently staying in a nice, cheap hostel. Cheaper than a KOA, and a little more expensive than the campsite North of town, but I get to sleep in a bed. I must have slept 12 hours last night. It was amazing.

The ride from Montrose to Gunnison was lots of fun, albeit full of ups and downs. I started off the morning riding into a 15 mph headwind and ascending for 14 miles. That was hard. There's nothing worse than riding uphill first thing in the morning. After descending a little bit into a place called Cimarron, I entered a beautiful, green valley. In the far distance I could see snow capped mountains. My joy at being in such a spectacular place faded as soon as I started another 1500 ft climb. After about a mile, I stopped, put on some Madonna, and cranked up the rest of the hill. I was in the zone. It was amazing. I was sweating, huffing and puffing, and my legs were on fire, but I felt like I was in the right place. I think the happiest moments I've spent on a bike have been on climbs. Tailwinds are fun, but there's always this nagging feeling in the pit of your stomach that the tailwind is going to be quickly replaced by a headwind, or that for every mile you ride with a tailwind, you can expect 3 (on different days) with a headwind. In other words, it feels like you're cheating. Climbing is not cheating, however. Climbing represents this epic battle against gravity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment