Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Naturita to Montrose

Tom and I said our goodbyes this morning. Sadness all around. Without my dad, I don't think I would have made it across Nevada or Utah. Knowing that there was someone there at the start, middle and end of each ride makes riding so much easier. Without Tom, I think I would have gotten caught up in the difficulty of the terrain and I ultimately wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. Utah is an spectacular place. I felt like the scenery there kept getting more and more strange and beautiful with every day that passed. Tom and I kept using the word "otherworldly" to describe some of the stuff we were seeing: Crazy red rock formations, deep canyons, and transitions from desert to alpine in a matter of miles. Looking back, it seems weird to describe something on Earth as otherworldy, because everything I saw in Utah comprises the geography of this planet. Otherworldy if you're used to the rolling green hills of Iowa.

Today, at mile 37, as I was taking a break at the intersection of highway 145 and 62, I met up with two dudes who were out for a day ride. We got to talking, and I found out that both of them were living in Telluride, living the bum lifestyle. They said that they lived in government subsidized housing for people who make under a certain amount a year. The goal, as one of the fellows told me, was to secure enough employment to be able to ski and bike, but not so much as to make more than this minimum. One of the guys was a bike tourist. He appeared to have done quite a bit of touring, both in New England and in the West. He was an interesting guy, and we chatted most of the way up from Placerville and down into Ridgway (no spelling mistake, I swear). It was about a 1400 ft climb, but we had a nice tail wind, so we really cruised to the top. Coming down, I hit my highest speed yet: 52 mph. After arriving in Ridgway, the two gentlemen encouraged me to spend the afternoon at a local hot springs. I checked it out, but I wasn't super enamored of the idea of sitting outside in 100 degree weather while immersed in 130 degree water. I have to drink enough water as it is. I made it to Montrose without any trouble, after meeting yet another bike tourist. All in all, a good day. I'm back on track, and pumped for the rest of Colorado.

Below are a few long overdue pictures. I would like to post them as I take them, but its hard when I'm impatient with slow upload speeds.
view from inside a canyon coming out of Escalante

On top of the hill, coming out of the canyon featured above. I was looking into the sun...


Panorama of the scene after climbing out of the canyon, coming from Escalante.

View from the top of Boulder mountain.
First view of the big mountains in Colorado!

2 comments:

  1. Dean, Google just deleted my last comment. So there magically appears twice, sorry about that. I'm glad that Tom was with you for the otherwordly ride through Utah. You'll probably run into more bike tourists from here on in. Rob did Ride the Rockies and I seem to remember a great pizza place in Montrose. Will you be going pass the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? Pretty cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing Tom tonight. Thanks for the pix. You're still looking great!

    ReplyDelete